We’ve been asked a lot of questions over the years. And a lot of them have been very similar to each other. So, we’ve tried to pre-empt some of yours below. But if you need to ask us something that we haven’t yet answered, please feel free to get in touch and we’ll get back to you asap with an answer.
- What qualifications do I need to apply for a graduate programme?
- You generally need a 2:1 degree or higher for all our programmes, but double check the section on the scheme you’re interested in, for any specific requirements.
- Do I need a driving licence?
- Yes, you must have a full UK driving licence and your own vehicle.
- What is the closing date for applications?
- The closing date for all graduate schemes is 31st December 2012.
The assessment process will begin in January 2013
- When do the schemes begin?
- All graduate schemes start in September 2013.
- How long will the graduate schemes last and is there a probationary period?
- Each scheme lasts for 18 months and your performance will be continually assessed against agreed objectives. And, you’ll have to pass each assessment to remain on the scheme – so no slacking!
- What hours will I be expected to work?
- To be honest, you’ll need to be flexible and happy to work hours that suit our business needs. You’ll be contracted to work 39 hours a week Sunday to Saturday, and typically work Monday to Friday. But, all schemes start with a retail placement, during which you’ll be required to work a mix of days, early mornings, evenings, nights and weekends. Some programmes will involve a supply chain attachment, which will also mean both early mornings and night shifts. So, you should be willing to adapt to whatever comes your way!
- Where in the country will I be based?
- After a week’s induction at head office in Worksop, you’ll start your retail placement. This could be in any store in England, Scotland or Wales. If you can’t commute to it from where you live, don’t worry. We’ll put you up in a hotel for up to five nights a week. Then, once your retail placement is finished, you’ll be based back at our head office and need to live within easy commute - Sheffield, Nottingham and Retford are popular choices. Please bear in mind though, we don’t offer a relocation package. So, you’ll need to be able to finance any relocation and travel costs yourself.
- Can I apply for more than one graduate scheme?
- Of course you can, if you like. Just make sure that you make a separate application for each scheme.
- I’ve never worked in retail before. Will this be a problem?
- No, not at all. We are a retail company so we expect all of our team members to have an understanding of basic retail procedures. And, that’s what the retail placement is all about. Through working in one of our stores you’ll be able to develop all the retail understanding and knowledge you need.